Friday, July 24, 2009

The delivery boy


I found myself in a dilemma recently. This was about the business protocols and emotions, and I'm still unclear about what to chose.

On this Friday, I reached home at about 9 15 in night and decided to order Pizza for dinner. Usually I order a combo meal which doesn't have a service guarantee, but this time, since I was alone to eat, I ordered a single pizza which came with a 30 minutes delivery guarantee.

I was hungry and eagerly waiting for one of my favourite foods. It was 10, and still no sight of the delivery boy. I checked back and realized it's more than 30 minutes. I felt happy, that I'd not have to pay anything now. Just then I heard a scooter parking, and I rushed to the door to pick the delivery for free. The first sentence I spoke to the guy was "You're late". And he accepted and apologized and said he couldn't locate the house as it was dark and late. But he offered to call the Domino's centre and ask what I have to pay now. I was in a "pure business sense" and I called up and my order was made free.

I took the order and started to get back, when I had a glimpse on the face of the boy. He looked worried, and disappointed. I realised that the boy would be held accountable for the delay, and this could at the least mean poor performance in his records. I felt bad about it, and felt guilty. How could I be so mean, that to save a few bucks I could endanger someone's career in such a badly hit economy. I tried to help the guy by offering him the full payment, but he said "It's OK sir. It was my mistake". And he left.

I stood wondering about what had just happened, and was really sad over it. I wished I could undo the damage, but it was one I had no control...

In restrospection, now, I feel I should do something about this. At the least, I'd never again say "You're late" to a delivery boy. On a bigger front, I plan to do something here, which would obviate the delivery boys to hear "You're late".

No comments: